*UPDATE: This letter has been sent to television stations running the With Honor ad demanding the ad be taken down.
A dark money group supporting Amy McGrath is falsely attacking Congressman Andy Barr and his commitment to helping our veterans. The pro-McGrath outside group With Honor launched their attack ad today, making claims that are factually wrong and inaccurate.
The Military Lending Act, which has been federal law since 2006, regulates and protects all armed service members, spouses and dependents from inappropriate lending practices. Congressman Barr supports this law, which was written, by the way, by his former boss, U.S. Senator Jim Talent (R-MO).
Furthermore, the legislation referenced in the ad, HR 10, the Financial Choice Act, doesn’t even mention the Military Lending Act, let alone repeal it.
“Congressman Barr’s dedication to our veterans is indisputable, and dark money from outside groups cannot change that,” said Jodi Whitaker, communications director for Congressman Barr. “Congressman Barr has gone above and beyond to make sure our veterans are taken care of, and in spite of desperate attempts by Amy McGrath and her allies to undermine that, Congressman Barr is confident that the voters of the Sixth Congressional District will see through the baseless attacks and continue to support his hard work on behalf of our veterans.”
Congressman Barr has an extensive record of helping our veterans. For example:
- Congressman Barr supported the largest pay raise for our military in 9 years.
- Congressman Barr supported the FY19 NDAA, which delivered the earliest NDAA since 1977. This legislation addresses our military readiness crisis, makes critical investments to increase the size of our military, and increases funding for our military equipment and training to confront our nation’s adversaries. This legislation was signed into law on August 13, 2018.
- Congressman Barr supported the VA MISSION Act, which improves the VA health care system by consolidating the Choice Program into one cohesive program, expands the VA Caregiver Program to veterans of all eras, and creates a non-partisan process for reviewing VA’s assets to ensure veterans can access the care they have earned. This legislation was signed into law on June 6, 2018.
- Congressman Barr supported the veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act, which ensures veterans’ appeals claims are processed in a timely manner. This legislation was developed in response to data that showed nearly 500,000 veterans were awaiting a decision from the VA on their disability claims. This bill was signed into law on August 23, 2017.
- Congressman Barr supported the Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act, which streamlines the process to remove, demote, or suspend VA employees for poor performance and expands protections for whistleblowers. This legislation was signed into law on June 23, 2017.
- Congressman Barr supported the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, which expanded GI bill eligibility, removed the time restriction on the use of the GI bill for eligible recipients, and increased funding for Reservists and Guardsmen. This legislation was signed into law on August 16, 2017.
Veterans in the Sixth Congressional District are speaking out against the ad and its claims.
“In the Sixth Congressional District, there is no better voice for veterans than Congressman Barr,” said MG (R) Donald Storm. “He listens to our concerns and has effectively developed and supported legislative programs and solutions that have greatly helped our veterans and their families. To insinuate veterans would be better represented by Amy McGrath is outrageous and preposterous. Congressman Barr cares about our veterans and their families and his record of getting things done is solid proof and veterans understand this.”
“Among all the veterans groups I belong to, including the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, Disabled American Veterans, Reserve Officers Association, Military Officers Association of American and Madison County Veterans, I have never once heard negative comments made about Congressman Barr’s commitment to our veterans and their families,” said Retired Army Lt. Col. Jim Lucas, a 29.5-year Armor Officer. “The veteran community in Kentucky knows how hard Congressman Barr works for us, and we will not forget it when we go to the polls in November. Amy McGrath’s false attacks will not be tolerated by the veteran community.”
“As an 8-year Marine Corps Infantry combat veteran who worked tirelessly for the people of the Sixth Congressional District after returning home from deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, I can tell you firsthand that there is not another member of Congress who works as hard for veterans as Andy Barr,” said Marine Corps veteran Sgt. Tyler White. “I have watched Congressman Barr go to bat for veterans and their families by helping them with critical issues like getting the care they need and deserve from the VA. To insinuate that Congressman Barr does anything less than fight tooth and nail for our veterans is absurd and completely false.”
Amy McGrath and her allies need to be very careful about hypocritical attacks against Congressman Barr, as McGrath’s out-of-state-funded campaign includes thousands of dollars tied to the payday loan industry. Congressman Barr is confident that his constituents will be able to see through the false and hypocritical attacks, and will recognize his long-time dedication to those that have sacrificed so bravely for our country.FacebookTwitterGoogle +