Andy Barr is Getting Results
- After nearly seven years of hearing constituents’ struggle with the one-size-fits all health care law that is now collapsing under its own weight, Andy supported the American Health Care Act to increase competition and choice, lower costs, and deliver relief to families throughout Kentucky. The American Health Care Act, which represented the largest entitlement reform in history, would have created a personalized, patient-centered health care system to encourage the health insurance marketplace to compete, ensure individuals with pre-existing conditions have access to affordable, quality health care and allow families to pick the plan that best fits their needs.
- Andy supported repealing the individual mandate for health insurance, which penalized Americans for not choosing to purchase health insurance they did not want or was too expensive to maintain.
- Andy supported the Small Business Fairness Act to allow small businesses to bind together to offer high quality, lower cost health insurance plans to their employees, relieving them from the costly state-mandated laws that make health care coverage exorbitantly expensive.
- Andy cosponsored the Childhood Cancer STAR Act, which advances pediatric cancer research and child-focused cancer treatments. This legislation was signed into law by President Trump on May 29, 2018.
- Andy led a Kentucky Congressional delegation letter in support of the University of Kentucky’s Markey Cancer Center’s application to renew its National Cancer Institute (NCI) designation. The University of Kentucky received its renewal NCI designation in August 2018.
- Andy voted for the 21st Century Cures Act, which authorizes state block grants to improve the treatment of disease, mental health and addiction.
- Andy voted for a $4 billion appropriation – the largest to date – to combat the opioid crisis and address prevention, treatment and enforcement
- After hosting the Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development in the Sixth District to meet with local recovery organizations, Andy introduced a bill to provide more resources for transitional housing for opioid addiction recovery.
- Andy has continued to support Community Health Centers and their work to provide accessible and cost-effective health care to many Kentuckians living in rural areas of the Sixth District.